My soul can no longer handle the shameless plugging of Optional Realities. Luckily I'm the founder of the community which means there's a guy I can get to do it for me. From now on you'll be getting your weekly updates from Crayon! Treat him just like you'd treat me.
1. In the Redshift universe the Earth's sun entered a period of high solar activity which caused solar flares to become more common. This is a real thing our sun does and we have about a 15% chance of it happening every decade or so. This would cause massive radiation spikes but more importantly it would wash our planet in crippling EMP and fuck our weather.
2. Due to the sun messing up the planet, the people of Earth opted to get out of dodge. This was further pushed along due to resource issues from the advent of 3D printing causing humanity to go on a bit of a binge.
3. There are 3 seedships (which are Generational ships meaning that multiple generations of humans will live and die onboard before it reaches it destination) are sent out in 3 directions to areas that are believed to have potentially human habitable worlds. One of these ships is called the Trinidad and is the setting of Project Redshift.
4. In recent history the warp drive (Alcubierre drive) was developed but cannot be used on ships the size of the Seedship. This however gives the residents of the seedship the opportunity to explore for the first time since their journey began.
Okay awesome! There is this show on Netflix called Ascension which has a similar theme. It is really cool how they drew up some cultural delemas in that setting. Maybe something worth observing at dinner with your wife? (My wife loved it)
Also the political strife in the Silo series by Hugh Howey may serve as additional cultural inspiration. It's setting is a massive underground Silo but the general goal would be to observe the aspirations and behaviors of characters in a population of people within a limited space.
I love the concept for redshift. I could roll a huge variety of characters. And so far the staff you've chosen seem to be a breath of fresh air against the experiences of most on this board.
Joe how will the staff be managed so much of the staff/player problems from /other/ games can be avoided?
1. Project Redshift staff will not play the game. Thus far all staff have volunteered for this restriction. 2. Project Redshift staff get paid ergo they are held accountable for customer satisfaction. 3. Staff/Player conflict is impossible to not have. Our focus will be on making sure complaints are heard, recorded, and that particularly well thought our or consistent complaints are reviewed.
So to expand a bit on this. Let us suppose during alpha (we'll have an alpha phase which will be code testing not like full blown RP/Story) that people do not like the way we structured our emote system. Well emote systems are a pretty big part of player experience. So we source all the feedback, find consistent complaints, and try and figure out why it's a problem and change it. Truth be told we expect a professional customer relations response to remove a lot of the common issues MUDs have.
Good question. Currently everything is out of my pocket. As none of the Project Redshift staff believe in pay 2 win, we'll worry about funding it when it's closer to release and we'll reveal some of our ideas on funding.
Jan 17, 2020 1:49:37 GMT -5
mehtastic: vex is Shalooonsh confirmed
Jan 17, 2020 5:17:45 GMT -5
grumble: The plot, and dick, thickens.
Jan 17, 2020 9:53:50 GMT -5
High Sun Freeze Gun: I'm finally done , people likr Triste make the discord unbearable
Jan 17, 2020 10:27:09 GMT -5
Jeshin: Who is Triste?
Jan 17, 2020 10:31:34 GMT -5
grumble: A hater, complaining about haters, who aren't really haters.
Jan 17, 2020 11:30:21 GMT -5
grumble: I mean, there's no hate to it. If a bunch of people come forward with complaints like these, you can't just blame the victims.
Jan 17, 2020 11:31:09 GMT -5
grumble: If, as an effect of being revealed, it drives people away from the game, it's not the truth's fault. The truth is the truth. If you don't like the truth, then change the situation to suit the narrative in your head.
Jan 17, 2020 11:32:28 GMT -5
Jeshin: I've noticed there is a habit of dehumanizing this board and people who bring complaints as haters, goblins, toxic, etc etc. Yet there is normally very little dehumanization here of staff or players. Or is there
Jan 17, 2020 11:45:15 GMT -5
grumble: Fucking dehumanize the world. We're all animals and we do dumb shit. There is nothing divine about humanity. That said, we have standards.
Jan 18, 2020 16:15:32 GMT -5
MartenBroadcloak: Speak for yourself Jesus. Don't force yer hippy ideals on me.
Jan 18, 2020 20:50:54 GMT -5
grumble: Why do you not bow, plebian?
Jan 19, 2020 15:27:29 GMT -5
grumble: *farts loudly*
Jan 23, 2020 3:35:08 GMT -5
pinkerdlu: degenerates like you belong on a cross
Jan 25, 2020 22:36:38 GMT -5