My soul can no longer handle the shameless plugging of Optional Realities. Luckily I'm the founder of the community which means there's a guy I can get to do it for me. From now on you'll be getting your weekly updates from Crayon! Treat him just like you'd treat me.
1. In the Redshift universe the Earth's sun entered a period of high solar activity which caused solar flares to become more common. This is a real thing our sun does and we have about a 15% chance of it happening every decade or so. This would cause massive radiation spikes but more importantly it would wash our planet in crippling EMP and fuck our weather.
2. Due to the sun messing up the planet, the people of Earth opted to get out of dodge. This was further pushed along due to resource issues from the advent of 3D printing causing humanity to go on a bit of a binge.
3. There are 3 seedships (which are Generational ships meaning that multiple generations of humans will live and die onboard before it reaches it destination) are sent out in 3 directions to areas that are believed to have potentially human habitable worlds. One of these ships is called the Trinidad and is the setting of Project Redshift.
4. In recent history the warp drive (Alcubierre drive) was developed but cannot be used on ships the size of the Seedship. This however gives the residents of the seedship the opportunity to explore for the first time since their journey began.
Okay awesome! There is this show on Netflix called Ascension which has a similar theme. It is really cool how they drew up some cultural delemas in that setting. Maybe something worth observing at dinner with your wife? (My wife loved it)
Also the political strife in the Silo series by Hugh Howey may serve as additional cultural inspiration. It's setting is a massive underground Silo but the general goal would be to observe the aspirations and behaviors of characters in a population of people within a limited space.
I love the concept for redshift. I could roll a huge variety of characters. And so far the staff you've chosen seem to be a breath of fresh air against the experiences of most on this board.
Joe how will the staff be managed so much of the staff/player problems from /other/ games can be avoided?
1. Project Redshift staff will not play the game. Thus far all staff have volunteered for this restriction. 2. Project Redshift staff get paid ergo they are held accountable for customer satisfaction. 3. Staff/Player conflict is impossible to not have. Our focus will be on making sure complaints are heard, recorded, and that particularly well thought our or consistent complaints are reviewed.
So to expand a bit on this. Let us suppose during alpha (we'll have an alpha phase which will be code testing not like full blown RP/Story) that people do not like the way we structured our emote system. Well emote systems are a pretty big part of player experience. So we source all the feedback, find consistent complaints, and try and figure out why it's a problem and change it. Truth be told we expect a professional customer relations response to remove a lot of the common issues MUDs have.
Good question. Currently everything is out of my pocket. As none of the Project Redshift staff believe in pay 2 win, we'll worry about funding it when it's closer to release and we'll reveal some of our ideas on funding.
grumble: Triste is not a leftist. Triste is a right wing nutjob just like you.
Dec 14, 2020 9:48:05 GMT -5
grumble: Triste just happens to be trans. Imagine the irony.
Dec 14, 2020 9:48:45 GMT -5
grumble: But myself, I don't take issue with there being slaves in the game, references to slaves, or that certain races are preferred as slaves in the game. Look at the Sun Runners, it's considered an honor to be one of their slaves.
Dec 14, 2020 9:50:37 GMT -5
grumble: It's all part of the history of the game. Armageddon should come with a trigger warning, if it doesn't already.
Dec 14, 2020 9:51:09 GMT -5
grumble: Necker, however much I miss saying "Sup my necker?", was a bit much. I can do without it because I see the reason why it's a bad idea. I'm not sure too many were offended but one is enough.
Dec 14, 2020 9:53:34 GMT -5
someguy: Was thinking to come back and play as an elf since I won arm as a d elf and later as a c elf... then realized I'd have to revamp my vocabulary now...
Dec 18, 2020 14:55:09 GMT -5
jkarr: lol yeah some idiots zoomed in to take offense on behalf of black players who didnt two shits about an ig word that some white ppl decided to treat as an ooc slur fail to split ic from ooc and then have staff cave in to their crying by litrally banning it
Dec 18, 2020 17:27:35 GMT -5