Post by julio on May 7, 2018 23:22:09 GMT -5
If you could find enough people, I think you could have a DND style game running 24/7 in an online tool. The big blocker is exactly what I think it is in Arm; there is a multiplier in prep time to run a good plot driven environment with a narrative that specifically includes the pcs in it.
I was storyteller, admin, and then head admin on a mud that did as many as seven gm-run rpts a week in its heydey. It suffered from almost exactly the same ratio... that a decent atoryteller needed to spend 3-5x as much time preparing as running events. It still worked for years, but suffered from the same staff tendency to sit around upstairs and socialize that Arm seems to have.
I still lay this problem at the feet of Arm staff. I'm just suggesting that a group of six to ten storytellers with a small technical support team would be required to run the dnd game/mud/rp driven checkers game you are talking about. I think the problem is selecting, replacing, and keeping a team like that motivated.
Seems like death is an inevitability unless the attrition problem is dealt with.
For an RPI I expect:
1. Permadeath (good)
2. No holds bars, no safe zones (too many soldiers in cities)
3. No restrictions on RP (murder is okay but rape is not? elves cant be called neckers yet slavery, human trafficking, and raping vnpc females to make muls is okay?)
4. Equal footing (no staff favoritism) no karma until you grasp game mechanics. Allow game masters to punish those abusing code by making an example of them in RP with murder, torture, etc... much more fun and educational w/o people getting personally offended.
5. Game masters who play with you and enjoy the game by playing NPCs and bringing the world to life. (not disciplinarians to fucking punish people.)
6. Transparency (no fucking secrets to give an advantage to veteran players. syntax alone is a bitch.)
If these 6 categories were corrected, staff douchebaggery would end, the game would function more organically, there would be less attrition, and it woooould set an example for other muds in different settings. Really the only sustainable niche for muds are RPI so why not do it right?