My soul can no longer handle the shameless plugging of Optional Realities. Luckily I'm the founder of the community which means there's a guy I can get to do it for me. From now on you'll be getting your weekly updates from Crayon! Treat him just like you'd treat me.
1. In the Redshift universe the Earth's sun entered a period of high solar activity which caused solar flares to become more common. This is a real thing our sun does and we have about a 15% chance of it happening every decade or so. This would cause massive radiation spikes but more importantly it would wash our planet in crippling EMP and fuck our weather.
2. Due to the sun messing up the planet, the people of Earth opted to get out of dodge. This was further pushed along due to resource issues from the advent of 3D printing causing humanity to go on a bit of a binge.
3. There are 3 seedships (which are Generational ships meaning that multiple generations of humans will live and die onboard before it reaches it destination) are sent out in 3 directions to areas that are believed to have potentially human habitable worlds. One of these ships is called the Trinidad and is the setting of Project Redshift.
4. In recent history the warp drive (Alcubierre drive) was developed but cannot be used on ships the size of the Seedship. This however gives the residents of the seedship the opportunity to explore for the first time since their journey began.
Okay awesome! There is this show on Netflix called Ascension which has a similar theme. It is really cool how they drew up some cultural delemas in that setting. Maybe something worth observing at dinner with your wife? (My wife loved it)
Also the political strife in the Silo series by Hugh Howey may serve as additional cultural inspiration. It's setting is a massive underground Silo but the general goal would be to observe the aspirations and behaviors of characters in a population of people within a limited space.
I love the concept for redshift. I could roll a huge variety of characters. And so far the staff you've chosen seem to be a breath of fresh air against the experiences of most on this board.
Joe how will the staff be managed so much of the staff/player problems from /other/ games can be avoided?
1. Project Redshift staff will not play the game. Thus far all staff have volunteered for this restriction. 2. Project Redshift staff get paid ergo they are held accountable for customer satisfaction. 3. Staff/Player conflict is impossible to not have. Our focus will be on making sure complaints are heard, recorded, and that particularly well thought our or consistent complaints are reviewed.
So to expand a bit on this. Let us suppose during alpha (we'll have an alpha phase which will be code testing not like full blown RP/Story) that people do not like the way we structured our emote system. Well emote systems are a pretty big part of player experience. So we source all the feedback, find consistent complaints, and try and figure out why it's a problem and change it. Truth be told we expect a professional customer relations response to remove a lot of the common issues MUDs have.
Good question. Currently everything is out of my pocket. As none of the Project Redshift staff believe in pay 2 win, we'll worry about funding it when it's closer to release and we'll reveal some of our ideas on funding.
mehtastic: I posted it on the Discord server a long time ago, but unfortunately I don't use Discord much anymore. If you can get a Discord invite you can get the code, probably.
Sept 26, 2019 19:33:50 GMT -5
qwerty: ask jcarter. I think he's giving it away
Sept 27, 2019 17:34:42 GMT -5
mehtastic: I am back on Discord. If you want a copy of the code dump, join the shadowboard Discord and ask, or DM me: meh#0490. Feel free to DM if you feel addicted to Armageddon and want help detaching yourself from it, too.
Oct 10, 2019 9:01:42 GMT -5
Oct 20, 2019 3:19:39 GMT -5
grumble: You won't ftb when you meet me, it will be the one time you let your guard down.
Dec 8, 2019 10:45:46 GMT -5
grumble: As someone who deals routinely with people who FTB, I know where the weak points are, you will give consent, you will enjoy it, and then I'll horrify you with the news that it was me.
Dec 8, 2019 11:49:24 GMT -5
grumble: It will be the ONE time you don't FTB. You will loathe it.
Dec 8, 2019 11:51:24 GMT -5